From the Design Lab: An Insider's Guide to Laser Sintering
While all additive manufacturing (AM) processes share the ability to create multifaceted parts with intricate features, each system has its own design guidelines to ensure accuracy and optimize part design for the build process and compatible materials. These design guidelines are usually filed under trade secrets for each manufacturer, which can leave the average design engineer adrift on a sea of 3D printing challenges. To change that, we're sharing our expertise on LS gained from over two decades of working with the technology in a thorough guide.
In our new white paper, we've compiled some of the most important design considerations for any Laser Sintering project, including:
- Optimal external and internal wall thicknesses based on part orientation
- Minimum hole diameter based on part orientation
- Ideal hole proximity to walls
- Best fonts and font sizes for text
- How to optimize movable components, like gears and pins
All of these guidelines are validated by test data from the University of Texas at Austin and Stratasys Direct Manufacturing.
Download White Paper