CNC Machining is a deductive process by which automated cutting tools remove material from a block of raw material or a pre-existing part. Components can be crafted from virtually any material—either sourced from our inventory or specially ordered for your project. Our capacity allows us to create CNC machined parts with unrivaled speed, and our experienced engineers ensure the highest standards with cutting edge software and equipment. Ideal for prototypes, production parts, repeat-use master patterns, as well as a wide range of other applications where accuracy is critical.
Benefits of CNC Machining Services
You need a partner who can complete your CNC project quickly and with the right equipment for the job. Stratasys Direct Manufacturing has over 20 state-of-the-art machining centers across the country. We operate a wide variety of CNC equipment such as single axis lathes – ideal for executing round parts such as nozzles, engine components, and threaded shafts – as well as cutting edge 5-axis machines, which substantially reduce turnaround time by eliminating intermediate setups and enabling undercuts and off-axis features.
Speed isn’t a term you often hear in the machining world, but we stake our reputation on it. Stratasys Direct Manufacturing consistently provides the fastest quotes offered in the industry for machined parts. Many of our machining projects are programmed and started in a CNC center the same day the order is received.
We offer a variety of expertly applied finishing options to improve the mechanical and aesthetic properties of your CNC machine component, including painting, anodizing, EMI and RFI shielding, and hand polishing. We also offer a proprietary process known as “vapor polishing,” which provides an instant clear finish on clear polycarbonate and other solvent-bondable materials.
CNC Machining Applications
CNC Machining is ideal for highly accurate parts, very large components and precise form and fit verification fixtures for a variety of industries.
- Common applications include:
- Permanent master patterns for molds
- Large functional prototypes
- Large paneling
- Large display models
- Assembly and quality inspection fixtures
- Low volume production parts
Lockheed Martin CNC Machines 3D Printed Fuel Tank Model into Spec
Learn how 3D printing and CNC machining worked together to bring this large fuel tank simulation for a satellite design.READ THE STORY
CNC Machining Materials
We can machine virtually any engineering material, including plastics, metals, alloys, and foam or tooling board. Pick from our vast inventory, or speak with your Project Engineer to special order custom materials.SEE CNC MATERIAL OPTIONS
CNC Machining: Frequently Asked Questions
- How large a part can your CNC machines accommodate?
- We offer cutting edge CNC machining with single cut envelopes up to 84”, 40”, 36”. but that’s not a limit on the size of your project. One advantage of partnering with Stratasys Direct Manufacturing is that we have expertise in breaking up complex designs into multiple components, which we can later assemble.
- What are your standard tolerances for CNC machined parts?
- Standard tolerances for CNC machined parts are +/- 0.005” or 0.001”/”, whichever is greater. In some circumstances, tighter tolerances can be achieved depending on part design.